Super Mario Bros. 35th Anniversary – A Host Of Games, Products & Events Announced!
2020 celebrates the 35th Anniversary of Super Mario Bros. original launch in Japan and to celebrate, Nintendo announced a plethora of Mario news. From new games, classic collections, in-game events and accessories, Nintendo are set to keep Mario fans busy from 2020 into 2021.
Below we look at all the major announcements including the upcoming release of Super Mario 3D All-Stars, which comes to Nintendo Switch on September 18th.
Super Mario 3D All-Stars is coming
Optimised versions of 3D Super Mario games Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine and Super Mario Galaxy, are coming to Nintendo Switch in one package. In addition to having higher resolutions than their original versions, the games have been optimised for a smooth gameplay experience on Nintendo Switch. Super Mario 3D All-Stars also includes an in-game music-player mode to play the music and songs from all three games. Players can also listen to music on their Nintendo Switch systems when the screen is off. Super Mario 3D All-Stars launches exclusively for the Nintendo Switch family of systems on 18th September.
The packaged version software is a limited-time only production, and the digital version will be a limited-time only release until the end of March 2021.
Super Mario 3D All-Stars is available to pre-order from Nintendo eShop today.
Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit
Race against opponents using a physical kart come to life. The physical kart responds to boosts in-game and in the real world, stops when hit with an item, and can be affected in different ways depending on the race. Players place gates to create a custom course layout in their home, where the only limit is their imagination. Race against Koopalings in Grand Prix to unlock skins to customise courses and costumes for Mario and Luigi, and play with up to four players in local multiplayer mode.
Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit, which is available in Mario or Luigi models, launches on 16th October.
Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury
Multiplayer mayhem pounces onto Nintendo Switch! This enhanced version of Super Mario 3D World, which originally launched for Wii U, features co-op gameplay both online and through local multiplayer in a variety of creative levels. Additional details about what new things this game has to offer will be revealed later. Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury launches for Nintendo Switch on 12th February 2021. New Cat Mario and Cat Peach amiibo will also be released as a double pack at the same time as the game.
Game & Watch: Super Mario Bros.
his new collectable device is inspired by the original Game & Watch systems first released in the 1980s. The original handheld device included a game and could also be used as a watch to tell time. The original Game & Watch series sold more than 43 million worldwide. Game & Watch: Super Mario Bros. features a modern + Control Pad. In addition to playing classic games Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels (released in Japan as Super Mario Bros. 2) and a special version of Ball with a Mario makeover, Game & Watch: Super Mario Bros. also functions as a clock, with 35 little touches to discover, including some guest appearances from Mario’s friends and foes. Game & Watch: Super Mario Bros. launches on 13th November.
Super Mario Bros. 35
Welcome to Super Mario Bros. … with 35 players! In this competitive online battle game, 35 players will compete to be the last Mario standing… or running. Enemies defeated will be sent to other players’ courses, but that also works the other way around! Players can activate special items to try and outpace their opponents. Super Mario Bros. 35 launches 1st October as a digital-only game exclusive to Nintendo Switch Online members. The game will be playable until 31st March 2021.
Super Mario Bros. 35th Anniversary
Nintendo left off on a Super Mario Bros. Medley
Alongside the game announcements, Nintendo also released some info on a number of in-game events that will come to other Nintendo games. These include:
- From 7am BST on 9th September until 7am on 23rd September, Mario Kart Tour will have a Super Mario Kart Tour event, with special appearances by Mario (SNES) and Donkey Kong Jr. (SNES) from the original Super Mario Kart.
- Later this year, historical Super Mario items and 35th anniversary-themed merchandise will be available for purchase at the Nintendo Official UK Store.
- A 35th anniversary-themed Ninji Speedrun course is coming to Super Mario Maker 2 in November.
- In November and December, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate will have an in-game online tournament using Super Mario series fighters, stages and items.
- A Super Mario-themed Splatfest is coming to Splatoon 2 in January 2021. Keychains will also be available as a My Nintendo reward closer to the Splatfest. In addition, physical Splatfest T-shirts will be available for purchase on the My Nintendo Store soon. The upcoming Splatfest asks the important question: Which Super Mario power-up do you prefer: supersize with a Super Mushroom or become invincible with a Super Star?
- In March of next year, Super Mario-themed furniture will be available in Animal Crossing: New Horizons.
Mario Themed Products
- Monopoly Super Mario Celebration from Hasbro is now available at retailers worldwide.
- Kinder Joy Super Mario products are now available.
- The LEGO Nintendo Entertainment System set is now available exclusively at LEGO stores and the Nintendo Official UK Store, with multiple LEGO Super Mario sets now available at retailers worldwide, including the Adventures with Mario Starter Course
Well there is certainly lots to keep Mario fans busy. To get you going out of the gates, the original Super Mario All-Stars Is Now Available On Nintendo’s Switch Online SNES Service. The classic SNES collection includes upgraded versions of Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels, Super Mario Bros. 2 and Super Mario Bros. 3 with enhanced 16-bit graphics.
Will you be picking up any of these titles?